Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Favorite book


Was surfing around half.com and was reminded of one of my all time favorite books, The Snowgoose by Paul Gallico (you can get a copy there for 80c....hint, hint). It's short but exquisite like a little gem. Set at the beginning of WWII in the marshes along the coast of England, it's the story of a young local girl, a recluse painter, and a snowgoose blown off-course and into their lives by a storm. No matter how many times I read it I am always moved by it and I love it even though it makes me cry. Of course, Paul Gallico never wrote anything that wasn't a great read. He's up there with Neville Shute and Rumer Godden as one of my favorite authors. Which reminds me, I can't mention Rumer (yes, I've heard that's who Demi Moore named her daughter after, but I don't hold that against her) without urging you to get a copy of China Court. I have to thank my mom for turning me onto that wonderful book. It's a historical romance kind of in the Wuthering Heights-ish style, although maybe just a tad less gothic. Ok, I'll stop now before I can't fight the urge any longer to list all of my favorite other books by these authors!

1 comment:

Whit said...

Hooray - more books!! I'm always looking for a good read!