Sunday, September 25, 2005

Lost in Translation


Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE foreign films. But even I am left scratching my head sometimes at a gap between languages...lol. I watched a Japanese film tonight called "Nobody Knows". The acting was great and the attention to little details beautiful, although the story was sad and finally disturbing. But what got my attention was the subtitles at the end. As two characters sat and walked quietly, contemplating a pivotal incident in the story, a soloist sang what I'm sure was, in the original language, a moving, evocative song. But after being translated into English, it came out like this:

"When I ask the midnight sky
the stars just shine into
the black lake of my molten heart

I can only flow

Will the angel ever give me a backward glance?

Want to splash around in my heart?

The winds of the coming winter lap
at the waves
calling me into the dark
with eyes as wilted as ice

I'm growing up
a jewel with a pungent stench
that brooks no one's approach"

2 comments:

Whit said...

That is a head scratcher... and very sad.

Sharon said...

Hey Candi, is your blog working? When I try to go to that address now I get someone else's blog.