Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Another weekend another batch of movies!



As much as I'd love to say I spend my weekend's doing really productive things at home, I have to admit I love nothing better than curling up with a few good movies. This past weekend a few friends got together to watch DVD's (and eat lots of food we shouldn't have eaten, but it sure was good). We watched "Monster-in-law" which I surprisingly like quite a bit, surprisingly because I'm not a Jane Fonda or J-lo fan and had really low expectations for it, but it is funny. We also watched "Pushing Tin", a movie from a few years back that I don't remember ever noticing out in the theaters at the time. It stars Billy Bob Thornton (which may have been why I blocked it out at the time, am not a BBT fan), Angelina Jolie in what may have been her first role, and John Cusack. I love John Cusack. Oh, and Cate Blanchett. It was a very funny movie about air traffic controllers and the trouble you get into when you get into contests of one upsmanship with other people. I also got the two New Zealand films I'd bought online. I'd seen the first one before, "Once Were Warriors", one of the best films I've seen, but very hard to watch in places because of it's extremely gritty and realistic portrayal of domestic violence. I hadn't realized a sequel had been made until an Aussie friend mentioned "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted", so was excited to see the next bit of the family saga.

Food note from the movie party - got won ton wrappers and filled them with a spoonful of chive/onion cream cheese and a dab of red pepper spread, fried them and then lightly sprinkled them with freshly grated parmesan while they were still hot ... yummy. Fattening, but yummy. Also made a box of brownie mix, then took a shortcut and mixed up a couple boxes of the caramel coating you find this time of year by the apples in the produce section. (Wasn't really much of a shortcut as you have to add milk and sugar anyway and cook it. Would have been just as easy to make the caramel from scratch I think.) Spread half the caramel over the brownies, then sprinkled on one can of salted mixed nuts, and then spooned the remaining caramel over the nuts. Even more fattening and yummy.

1 comment:

Whit said...

Caramel? Brownies? Movies? Why wasn't I invited? Just kidding. Definitely some of my favorite things... The caramel brownies are definitely more than I can eat right now - believe it or not I'm back "on program" !!